Nothing is more confidence sapping than a bad hair day - so how can you minimise the likelihood? Keeping your hair in tip-top condition will give you the best chance of always looking and feeling great, so we've collected some tried and tested suggestions that you can try at home to make your hair look its best without breaking the bank.
Home remedies for healthy hair
- Apple cider vinegar - make up a rinse of half apple cider vinegar and half water, and apply it to your hair after shampooing. Not only will add fabulous shine, but it can also improve itchy scalps and dandruff. Just be sure to rinse it out.
- Honey - this is a great natural treat for your hair. Stir a tablespoon of honey into a cup of warm water and apply this to your hair after you've washed it. Leave it in place for 20 minutes before rinsing it away with warm water. This homemade conditioner can help your hair to retain moisture and it will boost shine.
- Eggs - using eggs to boost hair health is one of the oldest and most widely used natural remedies. There are many different recipes for egg-based hair treatments. Some people mix it with honey or with oils such as almond or olive. It can also be blended with yogurt. In most cases you will have a paste that you can apply to your hair and leave on for between 30 minutes and an hour. Afterwards, rinse away with cold water.
- Gelatine - this natural substance contains protein that can help to restore dry and damaged hair, leaving it luxuriously shiny. Dissolve the gelatine in warm water and add either cider vinegar or a few drops of an aromatic essential oil. Then apply this to your hair for up to quarter of an hour before rinsing it off.
- Onion juice - this may be a smelly remedy but plenty of people swear by it. Grate an onion and then squeeze out the gratings to get the juice, or alternatively boil a number of onions and use the cooking water. The longer you can bear to leave it in the better - for exceptional results, leave it on your head overnight and then shampoo as normal the following day.
- Avocado - rich in healthy oils and vitamin E, avocado will benefit your hair from the inside and the outside. Mash half an avocado with a spoonful of olive oil to make a bright green conditioning paste. Leave it on your hair for half an hour before shampooing out. Makes a great weekly treat.
- Coconut oil - if your hair is dry, it will thank you for an overnight treatment with luscious coconut oil.
- Beer - if you can bear not to drink it, beer makes an excellent hair rinse and can help repair damage. Massage it in, leave it on for five minutes and then rinse it away.
- Fenugreek seeds - these aromatic little seeds can work wonders for your hair as they are believed to improve volume and encourage growth. Soak a handful of seeds in water for 24 hours and then apply the soaking water to the hair, leaving it in place for as long as possible.
- Aloe vera - this prized plant is useful for so many things and moisturizing your hair is just one of them. Mixing aloe vera gel with yogurt or oil makes a fabulous conditioning mask.
In addition, avoid harsh chemicals and dyes if you want healthy looking hair and be sure that your diet is rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins. Furthermore, regular trims even when you're growing your hair will help to keep it looking wonderful.
About the Author:
NiceHair is a hair loss prevention specialist website featuring tips, tricks and advice on hair loss prevention, interviews, healthy eating, delicious recipes as well as beauty tips, product reviews and lists some of the best topical hair loss treatments. For more information please visit nicehair.org and get in touch.